Braised Brussels Sprouts, Pearl Onions And Chestnuts
- 1/4 c. butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 lb pearl onions blanched 1 minute in boiling water, peeled
- 1 1/2 c. turkey broth or possibly canned chicken broth
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2 lb fresh brussels sprouts trimmed or possibly 2 pounds frzn
- 1 x 16 oz wh roasted chestnuts in jars Salt and pepper
- Heat butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onions and cook till golden, stirring occasionally, about 15 min. Add in broth and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer till onions are tender, 25 min.
- Meanwhile, cook fresh brussels sprouts in large pot of boiling salted water till just crisp-tender, about 8 min. Drain. (Or possibly cook frzn brussels sprouts according to package directions.) Rinse with cool water.
- Add in chestnuts to onions, covered and simmer till chestnuts are tender, about 4 min. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover onion mix and brussels sprouts separately and chill. Reheat onion mix before continuing.) Add in brussels sprouts to onions. Boil till brussels sprouts are heated through and liquid is syrupy, about 4 min. Season vegetables with salt and pepper and serve.
- Serves 12.
Leave a review or comment