Baked Ravioli with Meat SauceServings: 6by Reeni11 recipes>
This has all the beloved flavors of lasagna but is a lot quicker and easier to make. Using frozen or fresh cheese ravioli is the time saver. And even though the meat sauce needs a bit of time to prepare it's necessary for making this potentially dull dish delectable. And for giving it a bit of home-made flavor.
- 1 pound of Ground Beef (80-85%)
- 1 Green Pepper, thinly sliced and cut into 1-inch long strips
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced
- 4-5 large cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 can tomato paste, 6 oz.
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning (If you don’t have the mix use 1 teaspoon each of Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Sage and Marjoram)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sea or Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked Pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 - 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 26 ounces Cheese Ravioli, frozen, or fresh, use a good brand
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1. Brown the beef and the pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- 2. When browned add the tomato paste, Italian seasonings, sugar, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Let cook for a few minutes until the tomato paste is heated through.
- 3. Add the crushed tomatoes and a half of the tomato paste can full of water. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Taste and re-season halfway through with salt, pepper and herbs if needed and again before serving.
- 4.While the sauce is simmering cook the ravioli just until they begin to rise to the top and float. You do not need to cook them all the way through. Drain and toss with a tablespoon of butter or olive oil.
- 5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove bay leaves from sauce. Toss a liberal amount of sauce with ravioli. Reserve any excess sauce for serving.
- 6. Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole pan. Sprinkle top with mozzarella. Bake about 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Leave a review or comment