Vegetable LasagnaPrep: 1 hours Cook: 1.25 hours Servings: 10by Salad Foodie404 recipes>
Lasagna laced with garden vegetables and whole wheat noodles makes a healthier pasta alternative to traditional lasagna. Don’t let the list of ingredients and/or chopping daunt you.(I just consider it my afternoon therapy session.) The veggies are cut in small pieces to layer better between noodles. Sub any combo of veggies preferred that would work well for you here.
- 1/2 pound whole grain lasagna noodles (I used 9 pieces)
- 1 26-ounce jar (or more) of pasta sauce or marinara sauce (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or a little more as needed)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped or cut in small flowerettes and pieces
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped or cut in small flowerettes and pieces
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Handful of basil leaves chiffonade plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach (thawed, squeezed well and then flaked apart)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Stir together pasta sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and black and red pepper flakes in medium saucepan; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes then remove from heat.
- In medium bowl beat egg lightly; stir in 4 ounces of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and parsley.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 8" x 12" oblong baking pan (2 quart capacity) with vegetable spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute broccoli, cauliflower and carrots 2-3 minutes in oil until they begin to soften but are not yet tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini, mushrooms. basil and sea salt; saute 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in spinach.
- Pour 1/2 cup of pasta sauce in bottom of prepared baking pan, tilting to coat bottom.
- TO MAKE LAYERS: Arrange 3 lasagna noodles in pan. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on first noodle layer, then 1/3 of sauteed veggies and 1 cup of pasta sauce; sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese over all. Continue with 2 more identical layers.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-50 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Uncover and arrange remaining 4 ounces of mozzarella on top. Bake uncovered 5-10 more minutes wil cheese melts and just begins to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with a few basil leaves and serve.
Leave a review or comment