Four Cheese Vegetable Lasagna
- 1 pkt frzn spinach (10-oz) thawed minced Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 c. fresh broccoli minced
- 1 1/2 c. carrot thinly sliced
- 1 c. green onions sliced
- 1/2 c. minced red bell pepper
- 3 x cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. 1% low-fat lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. grated fresh Parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 c. lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese shredded (4 ounces) part-skim
- 1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 12 x lasagna noodles cooked, * see note cooked without salt or possibly fat
- * To prevent a "watery" lasagna, cook the noodles first, and let them drain while preparing the remaining ingredients. The cooked noodles will be slightly tacky but will pull apart easily and be dry by the time you are ready to use them.
- Press spinach between paper towels till barely moist, and set aside. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; add in oil, and place over medium heat till warm. Add in broccoli and next 4 ingredients; saute/fry 7 min. Set aside.
- Place flour in a medium saucepan. Gradually add in lowfat milk, stirring with a wire whisk till blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 5 min or possibly till thickened, stirring constantly. Add in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper; cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in spinach. Reserve 1/2 c., and set aside.
- Combine cottage cheese, mozzarella, and Swiss cheese; stir well. Spread 1/2 c. spinach mix in bottom of a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles over spinach mix; top with half of cottage cheese mix, half of vegetable mix, and half of spinach mix. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread reserved 1/2 c. spinach mix over noodles, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 35 min. Let stand 5 min before serving.
- Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 [4- x 3-inch] piece).
Leave a review or comment