Tortilla EspanolaPrep: 15-20 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by RecipeKing54 recipes>
Tortilla Espanola-is a delicious, meatless recipe commonly found on many menus in Spain; (Do not confuse this with the Mexican corn or flour tortilla we are used to in the U.S.). This is more of an omelet and cooked on the stovetop. Ingredients include: Eggs, potatoes, onions, spinach and cheese. It is well-seasoned and takes under (1) hour to make. This is also a healthy, low fat, low calories, low sodium, low carbohydrates, low sugars, diabetic-friendly, Weight Watchers (SmartPoints) and vegetarian recipe.
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked diced red potatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons og the olive oil in a medium-size non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent (3 to 4 minutes). Add in the potatoes, thyme and paprika. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Gently stir the potato mixture into the eggs along with the cheese, spinach, salt and pepper until combined. Wipe the pan clean. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture, cover and cook until edges are set and bottom is browned (4 to 5 minutes), (it will still be moist in the center).
- To flip the tortilla, run a spatula gently around the edges to loosen. Invert a large plate over the pan and turn the tortilla out, onto it. Slide tortilla back into pan; continue cooking until completely set in the middle (3 to 6 minutes). Serve warm or cold.
Leave a review or comment