Southwest Vegetarian Pot PiePrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 6by Julia Ann Souders63 recipes>
A blend of southwestern vegetables and seasonings with topping of corn bread, quick and easy to bake together for a one dish meal. ©2007-2014 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1-15 oz. pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn, frozen or whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-15 oz. tomatoes, diced and with juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, if needed
- TOPPING - Corn Bread
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 400 F.
- Use cast iron skillet, 8 inches (or grease 2 quart casserole dish)
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno pepper to softened.
- Add remaining vegetables.
- Add additional water if mixture is dry.
- Heat to simmering.
- Mix the topping mixture, corn bread.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add milk, egg and oil.
- Beat until just mixed, do not beat until smooth.
- Pour over the bubbling vegetables. Or pour hot vegetables into greased casserole and cover with corn bread mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, set in oven to melt cheese.
Leave a review or comment