Shiitake Pot Stickers With Sesame Dipping Sauce
- 1 ounce dry shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1/3 c. chopped leeks white and green
- 1/3 c. chopped scallions white and green
- 5 x canned water chestnuts chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- (or possibly dry sherry)
- 3 ounce pressed tofu
- 24 x round wonton wrappers
- Cornstarch for dusting
- Peanut oil for cooking
- Sesame Dipping Sauce (see recipe)
- Place dry mushrooms in medium-sized bowl and cover with 2 c. boiling water. Let sit for 20 to 30 min, or possibly till softened. Drain and throw away liquid. Mince mushrooms.
- Heat sesame oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook ginger for about 30 seconds, add in mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 min, stirring constantly. Add in leeks, scallions, water chestnuts, tamari soy sauce and rice wine. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Mince tofu in food processor. Add in to mushroom mix. Cold for 10 min.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and dust with cornstarch. To assemble, place wrapper on work surface; keep unused wrappers under plastic wrap. Put 2 to 3 Tbsp. filling in middle. Moisten edges of wrapper with water. Fold wrapper in half over filling, pinching shut at center. Starting on right side of sealed edge and working towards midpoint, healthy pinch small pleats in wrapper edges. Repeat from left side. Put pot sticker on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Dust each pot sticker with cornstarch.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. peanut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 min. Arrange 8 pot stickers, pleat-side up, in skillet. Cook 1 to 2 min on each side, or possibly dark golden and crispy. Adjust heat. Wipe pan out with paper toweling and repeat.
- Serve immediately or possibly place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and cover loosely with foil. Keep pot stickers hot in 200 degree oven. Serve with Sesame Dipping Sauce.
- This recipe yields 2 dozen.
- Commnts: Use only pressed tofu, a product which is not water-packed, because it is very hard and dry to otherwise, the filling will be too wet. Pressed tofu should be so hard which you can easily dice it or possibly cut into thin strips. Pressed tofu can be found in natural food stores and Asian markets, but if you can't find it, use tempeh instead. You can make the pot stickers ahead and flash-freeze them for several weeks, or possibly dust with cornstarch, wrap in plastic and chill for several hrs. Frzn pot stickers can be cooked after partial thawing.
- Yield: 2 dozen
Leave a review or comment