Sauteed Zucchini in Homemade Tomato SaucePrep: 5 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 16by Denise Sherin115 recipes>
I love homemade tomato sauce, it's so much better than jarred sauce. As a summer side dish I add sauteed zucchini, it's so yummy. I recently served it as a side with baked cod and we wound up putting it right over the fish it was terrific!
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil , divided
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped (more if you like)
- 1 lg zucchini or 2 med sliced and quartered
- 2 - 28 oz cans of crushed plum tomatoes, San Marzano are the best
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil (more if you like)
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp sugar (as needed depending on tomatoes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parm cheese for serving
- Saute zucchini in a small amount of olive oil, just a few mins, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and saute onions till tender, when onions are done add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer for 10mins
- Add the zucchini and simmer another 15mins.
- Add sugar to taste if needed.
- When done add fresh basil and fresh parsley stir well
- sprinkle with parm cheese if desired.
Leave a review or comment