Salmon Shells in Lemon SaucePrep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 5by Julia Ann Souders63 recipes>
Large pasta shells are stuffed with a salmon patty mixture and topped with a creamy lemon sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Canned pink salmon dressed up for a quick evening meal. Lemon sauce is adapted from Claiborne, Craig, The New York Times Menu Cook Book, 1966. ©2007-2014 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
- 10 pasta shells, large size
- 1 14.75 ounce can pink salmon
- 1 tablespoon carrot, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- CREAMY LEMON SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, such as Swanson 99% Fat Free Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or Carnation Evaporated Milk, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven 350 F. Grease a 9 x 13 oven proof casserole dish.
- Cook 10 large pasta shells as instructions on the package.
- Rinse in water and set aside.
- Drain salmon, remove skin and fat and rinse in running water.
- Put the salmon into a large bowl.
- Add the stuffing ingredients and blend well.
- Fill each shell with with the salmon mixture.
- Set shells into the greased casserole.
- MAKE THE LEMON SAUCE
- Melt butter in a sauce pan that will hold 2 cups.
- Blend in the flour with a whisk until thickened.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and cream or evaporated milk.
- Using a whisk, stir constantly while cooking to a smooth and medium thick sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice and nutmeg, blend.
- Pour the sauce over the stuffed salmon shells.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake 350 F for 20 minutes, until browned and bubbling.
- Let cook for 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment