Queen of Sheba CakePrep: 30 min Cook: 1 min Servings: 8by Vijay Dhawan28 recipes>
Tasty Queen of Sheba Cake Recipe.
- Serves 8-10 people
- • 100g / 3 ½ oz / scant 1 cup whole blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- • 115g / 4oz / ½ cup caster sugar
- • 40g / 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- • 115g / 4oz / ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- • 150g 5oz plain chocolate, melted
- • 3 eggs, separated
- • 30ml 2 tbsp almonds liqueur (optional) chopped toasted almonds, to decorate
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- • 175g / 6fl oz/ ¾ cup whipping cream
- • 225g / 8oz plain chocolate, chopped
- • 25g / 1oz / 2tbsp unsalted butter
- • 30ml / 2 tbsp almond liqueur ( optional)
- 1. Preheat over to 180 C /350 F / Gas 4. Grease and base-line a 20-23 cm / 8-9 in spring from cake tin. Dust the tin lightly Withe flour.
- 2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, Process the almonds and 30ml / 2tbsp of the sugar until very fine. Transfer to a bowl and sift over the flour. Stir to mix, the set aside.
- 3. Beat the butter until creamy, the add half of the remaining sugar and brat for about 1-2 minutes until very light. Gradually beat in the melted chocolate, the add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the liqueur, if using
- 4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks from. Add the remaining sugar and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy, but not dry. Fold a quarter of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then alternately fold in the almond mixture and the remaining whites in three batches. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- 5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the edges are puffed but the Centre is still soft. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove the side and invert the cake on a wire rake. When quite cold lift off the base of the tin and the paper.
- 6. To make the chocolate glaze , bring the cream to the boil in a saucepan . Remove from to the heat and add the chocolate and the mixture is smooth. Beat in the butter and almond liqueur, if using . Cool for about 20-30minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 7. Place the cake on the wire rack over a baking sheet and pour over most of the warm glaze to cover completely. Cool slightly, and then press the nuts on to the sides of the cake. Use the remaining glaze for a piped decoration. Transfer to a plate and chill until ready to serve.
Leave a review or comment