Pumpkin & Sausage lasagna
This might sound crazy at first but this lasagna will rock your world! The original recipe was from Rachel Ray and is a great fall dish.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1.5 lbs sweet italian sausage with the casings removed (i use a mix of turkey and pork)
- 1 big eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- garlic to your taste
- 3 T butter/margarine (i use smart balance for everything these days)
- 3 T flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 15 oz. can of pumpkin (if you can only find pumpkin pie filling, thats fine - just skip next ingredient)
- Dash or two of Nutmeg
- Box of oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1.5 cup parm cheese
- Heat up the oil in a pan
- Add sausage and brown
- Add eggplant, onion & garlic
- Cook till tender and season with salt & pepper
- Melt butter in a seperate saucepan
- add flour gradually
- Once mixed, add pumpkin puree
- Add milk gradually and bring to a boil and then simmer
- This is your sauce!
- Spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of 13x9 casserole dish, mine is pink glass and i got it from the goodwill...i digress...
- layer 3 noodles
- top with meat/eggplant mix
- speinkle some cheese
- Top layer should be noodleswith a little sauce (no meat this time) and a sprinkle of remaining cheese
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes
- Remove the foil for the last ten minutes to brown the cheese
- Let it rest before you dig in...if you can!!
Leave a review or comment