Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut in saucePrep: 20 min Cook: 90 min Servings: 6by Therese37 recipes>
If your not lucky enough to be able to find fresh Polish sausage this can be made with just smoked kielbasa. Personally I put both types of sausages in this dish. I have also cooked this dish in a crockpot after I have cooked the onions, and sausages and fried the bacon in a separate pan then added everything to the crockpot after the first few steps were completed. It is best to make this dish the day before to let the flavors as my mother likes to say " get acquainted "
- 1 large can Sauerkraut lightly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 head Fresh cabbage sliced thinly
- 6 slices Bacon ( save the drippings)
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Caraway seed
- 16 oz. Can Stewed tomatoes (chopped in a food processor)
- 8 oz. Can Tomato sauce
- 1 Tbl. Butter
- 1 Large onion diced
- 1 lb. Fresh Polish sausage
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil drizzle with a little canola oil and place the fresh kielbasa on the baking sheet cook for about 35 - 40 minutes
- Fry bacon in a dutch oven until crisp and remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain
- To the bacon grease add the 1 tbl. of butter and diced onions and fry till the onions are tender and transparent.
- Remove onions with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- If using smoked kielbasa add to same pan and cook for about 20 minutes
- When the both sausages are finished cooking ( add the fresh cooked sausage at this time) add the canned kraut , fresh cabbage , stewed tomatoes , 1/2 can of the tomato sauce, crumbled bacon , caraway seed ,brown sugar, sautÃ©ed onions salt and pepper
- Mix together well and cook over a low - medium heat for about a hour or until sauerkraut is tender stir often so the bottom of the pan does not burn .
Leave a review or comment