Rigatoni with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
Tubes of rigatoni hold the tomato sauce, giving you a burst of creamy flavor with every bite. Use either hot or mild Italian sausage here, depending on your preference. Pairs perfectly with 2005 Super Tuscan Style wine. Available at Domenico Wines in San Carlos. www.domenicowines.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- 1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a fork, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pan. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- 2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it almost evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage,tomatoes, and salt. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the pepper, parsley, and cream.
- 3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve with grated Parmesan.
Leave a review or comment