Payasam RecipePrep: 20 min Cook: 2 hours Servings: 10by anita mokashi13 recipes>
Authentic south indian dessert
- 3 cups split yellow moong dal
- 5 cups jiggery
- 5 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cardamom and ginger powder
- 5 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup cashewnuts and raisins
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add moong dal and roast till it changes color to light brown.
- Add water and cook the dal in pressure cooker.
- Now take another pan. Add jaggery and water. Let it boil.
- Transfer the cooked dal to heavy bottomed pan and smash it properly.
- It should become like paste.
- Now add half of the coconut milk in it.
- Mix it properly.
- Add the jaggery syrup in the moong dal and coconut milk mixture.
- Mix everything well.
- Now transfer this mixture to gas.
- Add some ghee. Let it boil.
- Keep on stirring frequently.
- Now add the remaining coconut milk and continue boiling the mixture.
- Take another vessel. Heat ghee in it.
- Add cashwenuts and raisins.
- Fry till they become light brown in colour.
- Pour them in the moong dal mixture.
- Sprinkle the cardamom and ginger powder and mix everthing well.
- Simmer the payasam on medium-low heat about 20 to 30 minutes, until it reaches thick, creamy consistency. Serve warm or cold.
- Serve it hot!
Leave a review or comment