Moong Daal Kheer / PayasamPrep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Nupur UKrasoi7 recipes>
This Moong daal Payasam is one such healthy dessert, which I can eat anytime. I have prepared it before with different combinations of dal and rice. They may all have different names, but the basic recipe remains the same. For those who haven't tried any South Indian payasam made of dal yet, this is a very good dish to start with. Easy to make and deliciously rich in taste.
- 1 cup Split green gram dal or Yellow moong dal
- ¼ cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup Jaggery powder – I always use powder, see notes on how to break the Jaggery into pieces
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts
- ¼ tsp Cardamom pods
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 saffron strands
- 1 tsp rose essence – optional
- Wash lentils and rice well replacing water at least 4-5 times, soak for 30 minutes, drain and keep aside.
- Grind coconut with cardamom, just pulse it once and keep aside.
- Pour in drained rice and dal in a pressure cooker along with 4 cups of water and cook till 3 whistles. If you are using a deep pan, soak dal for 2-3 hours and then cook with rice for 40-45 minutes keeping flame on medium and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Open the cooker once the pressure ease off, and mash the dal well with either potato masher or wooden spatula.
- Add in milk, sugar and jaggery and simmer for next 15-20 minutes until dal thickens. You may add more water to adjust the consistency as per your desire at this point.
- Add in grated coconut mixture, saffron and rose essence and stir well, cook for another minute and turn off the flame.
- In another pan, heat ghee and fry cashews till light brown, and pour it over payasam. Keep some aside for garnish
- Serve hot.
Leave a review or comment