Pachai Payaru Kulambu (Green Moong Dal Curry)Prep: 3 hours Cook: 25 min Servings: 4by Navaneetham Krishnan370 recipes>
Thick creamy aromatic curry; scented with curry leaves and ghee.
- 1 cup of pachai payaru/green moong dal - soaked for 3 hours and drain off water.
- 5 garlic - remove skin
- 5 shallots - remove skin
- 1/2 inch ginger - sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tomato - sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp plain curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/cream
- Salt for taste
- For tempering
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/butter/oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 dried red chilies - snipped to tiny pieces
- 2-3 sprigs curry leaves
- Add dal, garlic, shallots, ginger, turmeric powder and 1/2 liter of water into a pot.
- Simmer till dal is half cooked.
- Add tomato, curry powder and season with salt.
- Continue to simmer to soften dal.
- Pour coconut milk, stir and remove from heat.
- Temper cumin, dried chilies and curry leaves in ghee.
- Pour over dal and stir.
Leave a review or comment