This recipe was a big hit with my brother in law and the three of my sisters that tried it.
Oxtails and Mushroom Mirepoix in Red Wine ReductionPrep: 8 hours Cook: 4 1/2 hours Servings: 7by Smokinhotchef351 recipes>
Savory beef 'oxtails' served in yet another way no less spectacular than the last. A full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon serves as both the marinade and sauce for this recipe. Earthy mushrooms and simmering staples help bring this recipe inspired by Julia Child to it's full capacity. Perfect for a evening of showcasing the diversity of the decadent oxtail or a cozy slumber when the weather is having a bad day!!
- 2 pkg. oxtails, about 4 lbs.
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon, 750ml
- 2 soft bouillion cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered
- 2 large carrots,peeled and cut into 1/3's
- 2 large stalks celery, cut into 1'3's
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1/4 c. good quality ketchup
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- In a 6 quart dutch oven or larger, add washed oxtails, bay leaves, boullion cubes and wine. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight to marinate.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350*F. Remove oxtails from wine and pat dry. Bring cast iron or other heavy skillet up to medium high heat. Add olive oil. Season beef with kosher salt and pepper to taste. In batches, sear oxtails on all sides until well browned about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring wine up to a boil over medium high heat and reduce heat to simmer. Place browned oxtails back into dutch oven and bake cook until tender- about 4 hours. Add carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms during the last 45 minutes of cook time and liquid is reduced by 2/3. Move some of contents of pot to side and whisk in ketchup. Baste oxtails in sauce for last 15 minutes. Skim off excess fat . Serve with polenta, rice, couscous or crusty bread for the 'gravy'.
Leave a review or comment