Moroccan Short RibsPrep: 30 min Cook: 240 min Servings: 8by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
This yummy short ribs recipe is full of delicious flavors and lots of colorful and tasty vegetables. It goes great over couscous or mashed potatoes. If serving with couscous, add slivered almonds and dried currents. That will add a nice sweetness and nuttiness to the dish.
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3.5 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 16oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 med fennel bulb, trimmed into thin wedges (use 1 tsp dried fennel if no fennel bulb is available, or use 1 medium leak)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 10 oz package couscous
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup dried currents
- In a small bowl mix the thyme, salt, ginger, pepper and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the short ribs and massage into meat. In a large skillet brown the short ribs in hot oil over med-high heat. Do in 2-3 batches depending on size of pan to ensure space in between ribs. Drain the fat.
- In a 6-7 qt slow cooker, combine the broth, beans, tomatoes and juice, onion, fennel, carrot, garlic, and browned short ribs (on top).
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8-9 hours or high settting for 4-5 hours.
- About 20 minutes before the meal, prepare the couscous according to the pkg. Stir in the Almonds and Currants when the Couscous is done. Server with 1-2 short ribs and a healthy serving of vegetables.
Leave a review or comment