Lentil Soup with Sausage & SquashPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 8by Bob Vincent126 recipes>
This is an easy meal for a weeknight. Lentils are a nutritional power house. They are a good source for protein and pack a hugh amount of dietary fiber. I like all types of legumes. My only issue with lentils is if they are not used in conjunction with something else and nicely spiced they can be very bland. So I added sausage and butternut squash to bump things up a bit. I also used sage and herbs de provence for herbal depth. Served with a salad the meal is complete. As for a wine; the sausage, mushrooms and lentils stand up to a hearty red. I elected a Fenestra 2008 Livermore Valley Estate Mourvedre which worked well.
- 16 oz lentils, rinsed and drained. I used brown.
- 16 oz butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed.
- 5 oz celery, cleaned and diced
- 5 oz onion, peeled and diced
- 5 oz carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 oz mushrooms, cleaned and cubed.
- 9 oz chicken sausage, sliced into have moons. I used Aidell's chicken artichoke-- 3 links.
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed and creamed
- salt/garlic pepper to taste
- 10 sage leaves, minced
- 2 tsp herbs de provence
- 1 Tb Ghee
- 1 Tb Olive oil
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 32 oz water
- Saute onion and celery in a large pot over medium heat with Ghee/Olive oil until translucent. Add gralic and cook until fragrent-about a minute.
- Add chicken stock and water. Add lentils. Add spices and herbs. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushroom and sausage. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add squash and carrots. Partially covefr and simmer until lentils, squash and carrots are al dente. About 10 more minutes if you want some tooth to the lentils rather than mushy.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Soup is ready for the table
Leave a review or comment