Lemon Garlic Chicken With Cindy
- 2 x garlic heads
- 4 x lemons
- 2 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, sage, marjoram)
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh marjoram or possibly oregano
- 3/4 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp freshly-cracked black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped shallots
- 2 x chickens - (2 1/2 lbs ea) halved, boned, with wings left on
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 x spring onions or possibly scallions
- 1 1/2 lb asparagus - (to 2)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon or possibly chervil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 1/4 lb russet or possibly Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, and cut into 2" to 3" chunks
- 1 1/2 tsp salt plus more as needed
- 3/4 c. lowfat milk - (to 1)
- 1 c. unsalted butter - (2 sticks) cubed
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Pull the heads of garlic apart, peel the cloves, and remove any green sprouts. Place the garlic in a small saucepan.
- Using a paring knife, remove the peel from the lemons. Carefully remove the pith from the peels and add in the peels to the saucepan; throw away the pith. Hold each lemon over the saucepan and cut between the membranes into sections allowing sections and any juice to fall into the saucepan. Squeeze juice from the membranes into the saucepan. Throw away membranes.
- Add in sufficient water to just cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer till the garlic is very tender, about 20 min. Drain, then puree the lemons and garlic in a blender and measure out 1/2 c. for the vinaigrette. Reserve remaining lemon-garlic puree for another use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1/2 c. of lemon-garlic puree with the vinegar, herbs, salt, and pepper, till the salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in extra virgin olive oil in a thin stream, and continue to whisk till fully emulsified; set aside.
- Prepare the chickens: In a small bowl, combine the salt, rosemary, thyme, garlic, marjoram, sage, peppercorns, and shallots; mix well. Place chickens in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle herb mix over, and rub till well coated. Cover and chill for at least 6 hrs and up to 12 hrs.
- Cook the chickens: Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Heat 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in each of two large ovenproof saute/fry pans over medium-high heat. Add in 2 chicken halves to each saute/fry pan, skin-side down, and cook till brown, 3 to 4 min. Turn the chickens, and cook 3 min more. Turn the chickens again, so which they are skin-side down, and weigh each of them down with an ovenproof saute/fry pan. Transfer to oven, and roast till the skin is crisp and the juices run clear, 8 to 12 min.
- Prepare the vegetables: Slice the spring onions thinly on the diagonal, and rinse well. Snap off ends of the asparagus. Slice on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices up to the tips. Set the tips aside.
- Prepare the Mashed Potatoes: Place potatoes and 1 1/2 tsp. salt in a large stockpot. Add in sufficient water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer till the potatoes are tender but not mushy when pierced with the tip of a knife, 15 to 20 min.
- Drain potatoes, and transfer to an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. If you prefer a lumpier consistency, you can mash them with a potato masher. Add in 3/4 c. lowfat milk, the butter, garlic, and pepper. Mix on low speed to combine, then increase the speed to medium to mix thoroughly. Add in more lowfat milk if the potatoes seem too thick. Taste, and season with salt as desired.
- Cook the vegetables. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add in spring onions and the asparagus stalks, and cook till soft, 3 to 4 min. Season with salt and pepper. Add in 2 Tbsp. water, cover, and cook till crisp-tender, 3 to 4 min. Add in asparagus tips, tarragon, and butter. Cook till the tips are heated through.
- To serve, place the potatoes and vegetables on either side of the plate, the chicken in the center, and drizzle all over with the vinaigrette.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment