Iraqui Pita Bread
When I have time, I really enjoy making breads. Pita is great to eat as a wrap, snack, or with soup on cold day. This recipe is from Mama Nazima's JEWISH- IRAQI Cuisine, by Rivka Goldman.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Combine the yeast, salt, baking powder, sugar, water and oil in alarge bowl, mix, and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add both flours, and knead until the dough becomes firm.
- Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a large baking sheet.
- Divide the dough into twenty pieces.
- Flatten each piece and roll into a 1/4-inch-thick circle.
- Place as many pieces as can fit on the sheet, and bake until golden brown (about 10 minuets).
- Serve hot or cold.
Leave a review or comment