Fattoush (Green Salad With Toasted Pita Bread)
- 2 sm Pita Bread Rounds
- 10 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Clove Garlic, Peeled
- 3 Tbsp. Or possibly More Lemon Juice Salt And Freshly Grnd Black Pepper
- 2 med Cucumbers, Peeled And Seeded
- 2 sm Hearts Of Romaine Lettuce, Coarsely Minced
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Mint Leaves, Coarsely Minced
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, coarsely minced
- Coarsely chop cucumbers, set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Split open pita rounds. Cut into wedges. Toss pita with 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, then place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and toast till crisp, about 5 min. Remove from oven and cold.
- Rub a large salad bowl with garlic clove and throw away. Combine lemon juice and 8 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper and set aside. Place cucumber, mint, lettuce, and parsley in salad bowl. Add in pita crisps and toss gently; serve immediately.
- Notes: This tart, pungent salad (A kind of Middle Eastern cousin of Italy's panzanella) is a favorite throughout Syria.
Leave a review or comment