A Great change from the normal Corn or flour flat tortilla, or hard shells or the more popular taco bowl. This is a Flat Bread used by Native Americans for centuries and Copied by the Mexicans. Usually found in Oklahoma and Mexico until Native Americans Migrated North and Even to the UK.
- 6 C all purpose flour
- 3 tbls baking powder
- 3 tbls shortening or cooking oil
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 2 pounds Ground chuck
- 1 small diced oinion or Onion salt
- diced tomatoes
- shreded cheese (Your Choice)
- Sour Cream
- Refried Beans (optional)
- mix flour,baking powder and salt
- gradually add shortening or oil
- add Only enough warm water a little at a time till dough sticks together.
- Knead dough until smooth.
- Break off pieces and flatten to size of preference
- but not less than 1/8 inch thick
- Place flattened bread pieces on coved bowl and let rise for
- 10 minutes
- For Frying: Use 2-3 inches melted shortening or oil
- in frying pan DO NOT DEEP FRY.
- Fry until Flat Bread is a Light Golden Brown, turn over, fry on other side.
- *Heat must be High enough to brown and cook inside but not harden flat bread.
- * Use Tongs to turn flat bread and place in strainer to remove excess oil.
Leave a review or comment