Good Stuff Dessert (a chocolate pudding trifle)Prep: 20 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 18by Salad Foodie404 recipes>
Years ago a friend gave me this recipe saying it is as the name says, truly “Good Stuff.” Layers start with a pecan crust, then a cream cheese filling, chocolate pudding layer and a whip topping. As a dessert it’s a real “looker,” but the taste tells you this is one luscious “icebox” cake. The name doesn’t do this one justice ~ it’s way beyond ‘good stuff!’ I’d even borrow Buzz Lightyear’s mantra here, that this dessert is “....to infinity and beyond!” Another bonus is it can easily be made into a reduced calorie version by using reduced fat cream cheese, sugar-free pudding mixes, 1% or skim milk, and light or sugar-free whipped topping.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 8-ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 12-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided (such as Cool Whip)
- 1 3.9-ounce box chocolate instant pudding (4 ½ cup serving size)
- 1 3.4-ounce box vanilla instant pudding (4 ½ cup serving size)
- 3 1/2 cups cold milk
- Optional toppings: shaved chocolate, chocolate non-pareils, toasted coconut, or finely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together pecans, flour and melted butter. Press evenly into a 9" x 13" baking pan or dish. Bake 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, then chill until ready to add cream cheese layer.
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar til well blended. Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Spread mixture onto cooled crust and refrigerate while preparing pudding filling.
- Combine chocolate and vanilla pudding mixes with cold milk in mixing bowl. Mix 2 minutes until well blended. Spread mixture evenly on top of cream cheese layer.
- Smooth enough of remaining whipped topping over top to make a layer about 1/2 inch thick.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight before serving. Sprinkle servings with any of the optional toppings.
Leave a review or comment