Ghirardelli Chocolate Cake
- 6 ounce Lowfat milk Chocolate, Good Quality
- 1/2 c. Boiling Water
- 1 c. Butter, Softened
- 1 1/2 c. Sugar
- 4 whl Egg Yolks
- 4 whl Egg Whites
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 1/2 c. Cake Flour, Sifted
- 1 c. Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 ounce Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 c. Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla, (1 1/2 Lbs.)
- 4 Tbsp. Warm Lowfat milk
- 1/2 sm Whipping Cream, Carton
- Cake:1. Heat chocolate in boiling water. Cold.
- 2. Cream butter and sugar till light add in egg yolks, one at a time, beating till very smooth.
- 3. Add in chocolate and vanilla.
- 4. Sift flour, salt and soda.
- 5. Add in alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mix, beating well after each addition.
- 6. beat egg whites stiff, fold into batter.
- 7. Pour batter into 3 greased 8 or possibly 9 " cake pans.
- 8. Bake in 350 degree oven 30 to 40 min, or possibly till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9. Cold on wire racks. After cold, frost.
- Frosting:1. Heat chocolate over top of double boiler.
- 2. Cream butter and sugar together.
- 3. Add in chocolate, vanilla and salt.
- 4. Add in sufficient of the lowfat milk to make good spreading consistency.
- 5. Spread frosting between bottom 2 layers and sides of cake.
- 6. Whip cream till stiff and spread on top layer.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate.
Leave a review or comment