Fresh Spinach QuichePrep: 20 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 8by Salad Foodie405 recipes>
Perfect for brunch or company, and one way to use up leftover fresh spinach. Use half Swiss cheese and half mozzarella if preferred. Do not bake pie shell well ahead of time as it needs to be hot or at least very warm when filling is poured in it.
- 1 9-inch single crust pie shell, unbaked
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Dash of fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 cups lightly packed chopped fresh spinach (about 3-4 ounces)
- 5 ounces shredded Swiss cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line the inside bottom and sides of unpricked pastry pie shell with a double layer of aluminum foil. Bake pie shell 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake 4-5 minutes more until pastry is set and dry (it will still be light in color.) Remove pie crust from oven; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile in large skillet cook onions and bacon until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Drain excess fat off.
- In large bowl beat eggs well. Add sour cream, half-and-half, salt and pepper and nutmeg. Stir in drained onion/bacon mixture, spinach and cheese.
- Pour filling into hot pie shell and bake 45-50 minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean. (If necessary protect edge of crust with foil to prevent over-browning.)
- Allow quiche to stand 10 minutes after baking before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes.
Leave a review or comment