My grandmother Manuela taught me how to make these. She used to serve them in her restaurant in Mexico. A simple recipe which can be served as a side dish or even as an entree! Great to have your kids or grandchildren sort through the beans the night before. Remove broken beans, dirt and rocks before soaking.
- 1 lb beans, cleaned
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 t. crushed black pepper
- 4 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 strips bacon, chopped coarsely
- baking soda
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh torn leaves
- 4 quarts of water + 1 beer (room temp is best)
- Clean beans, add a good handful of baking soda and cover overnight in a non-aluminum bowl with water to cover the beans.
- Rinse beans the next morning three times, discarding water with toxins each time. Make sure water is clear when you finish rinsing beans.
- COCKPOT INSTRUCTIONS: Add all ingredients to crockpot and set on high, stir every two hours.
- If you do not have a crockpot, use a non-aluminum bowl to cook beans. Add garlic, pepper, tomato sauce, bacon, and water + beer as well as cilantro leaves.
- Cook for 6 hours or until the beans are tender and the bean skins curl when you pull them out of the water.
- Add 1 t. sea salt AFTER the beans are cooked as it will cause the beans to burst when you add salt while they are cooking. Add cilantro if you have not done so already.
- Use immediately!
- Spoon into bowls.
- Garnish with salsa and shredded cheese.
- Great with a big hunk of buttered cornbread! Also try, fresh made corn tortillas or gorditas with a side of greens!
Leave a review or comment