French White Bean Soup
- 1 c. onion minced
- 2 x leeks minced-white only (2 to 3)
- 2 x cloves garlic chopped (2 to 3)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can white beans (15 ounce.) liquid removed and rinsed (Great Northern or possibly pinto) (or possibly 1 3/4 c. home-cooked white beans)
- 2 med potatoes peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 3 c. vegetable broth preferably with no added salt
- 1 c. evaporated skim lowfat milk
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley minced or possibly watercress
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 dsh salt White pepper to taste (preferably freshly grnd)
- In large saucepan or possibly Dutch oven, sauti onions, leeks and garlic in extra virgin olive oil for about 5 min over medium-high heat. Add in beans, potatoes, 1/4 tsp. of thyme and 1 1/2 c. of vegetable broth; simmer 20 min.
- Purie in blender or possibly food processor. When smooth, return to saucepan and add in remaining broth and evaporated lowfat milk; heat through. If necessary, add in more water or possibly broth to reach desired thickness. Before serving, stir in minced parsley, lemon juice, salt, white pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp. thyme.
- Serves 4, with 265 calories and 4 grams fat per serving.
- Preparation Time: 10 min.
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- NOTES : Serve this satisfying soup with some crusty rolls or possibly breadsticks.
- If you like, round out the meal by slicing some tomatoes or possibly carrot sticks while the soup simmers, or possibly simply add in some fruit salad for dessert.
Leave a review or comment