Exotic Spiced Pineapple RicePrep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Micheline119 recipes>
A spiced, fruity, nutty basmati rice dish that looks, smells and tastes exotic.
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) raw basmati rice
- Cold water
- 1/4 tsp curcuma (or a pinch of saffron)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) milk, hot
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (10 ml) coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long - 2,5 cm)
- 10 cardamome pods
- 1 pinch salt
- boiling water
- 1 - 14 oz (398 ml) can pineapple, chunks, drained
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) mixed nuts and raisins (opt)
- Soak the rice in cold water for 30 minutes in a large bowl.
- In an other bowl, mix the curcuma or the saffron to the milk and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter or ghee in a saucepan. Add the onion and ginger and cook for 5 minutes until the onion is transparent.
- Add the cumin, coriander, pepper, cinnamon and cardamome and cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained rice and the salt. Add enough boiling water to cover the rice by about 2 inches (5 cm). Mix well, cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the yellowed milk, in a zigzag fashion. DO NOT MIX so that only a part of the rice is darker.
- Cover and continue cooking on medium-low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed approximately 13 to 15 minutes.
- Let the rice rest for 5 minutes before lifting the cover.
- Mix in the pineapple chunks and the nuts, raisins and place on a serving dish. Serve with fish or chicken.
Leave a review or comment