Crockpot Baked Beans, Boston Style
- 2 1/2 c. dry navy or possibly kidney beans , soaked
- 5 x baked beans a la crockpot
- 1/3 c. molasses
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp bakon yeast (available at health food stores)
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2 med onions chop in large pcs
- 2 x bay leaves
- 30 ml garlic chopped
- 1 tsp salt freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Drain the beans, cover with fresh water, and bring to a boil for 5 min, then drain again. Whisk together the molasses, sugar, mustard, cayenne, Bakon yeast, and tamari in a bowl, then mix with the beans and add in the onions, bay leaves, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Place in a bean pot or possibly 2-qt baking dish and add in water to cover the beans. Cover and bake till the beans are very soft, 7 to 8 hrs. Check periodically and add in more water, if needed, to keep the beans from drying out. Remove the cover during the last half hour of cooking so a crust can form. 401 calories, 1.7 gram fat per 1 c. serving.
Leave a review or comment