Chili con Carne - Stove Top or Crock Pot!Prep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 5by Salad Foodie389 recipes>
Hurray for fall and chili time! This makes a batch for about 5 adult servings, but there’s no such thing as having too much chili. You can freeze leftovers or just double the recipe and freeze the extra for busy week nights. I try to make a day ahead to deepen the flavors.
- 1 pound ground beef (I use extra lean)
- 1 1/3 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ to 3 cups peeled chopped fresh tomatoes (or use equivalent amount canned petite diced tomatoes)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (drained and rinsed if you prefer, or use 2 cups cooked from dried pinto beans)
- STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
- In large saucepot or Dutch oven saute hamburger over medium heat with onions, bell pepper and garlic til meat is browned and vegetables softened, about 5-6 minutes; drain fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and heat through.
- CROCKPOT DIRECTIONS:
- Brown meat with onion, green pepper and garlic as above and drain. In a 4 quart crockpot combine browned meat mixture with remaining ingredients except beans (add them the final half hour of cooking.) Cook on Low setting 7-8 hours or on High 4-5 hours.
Leave a review or comment