CarnitasPrep: 30 min Cook: 4 min Servings: 8by coachjeff1 recipe>
Of all the mexican style meats, Carnitas is by far my favorite. Its great to serve in simple tacos or as a main course. Made of flavorful pork with minimal seasonings, its the two step cooking process that puts carnitas over the top. First its braised, or slowly roasted until its fork tender. Then its fried until a fine crust adds a little crispness and more flavor to the meat.
- 5 lbs boneless country style pork ribs
- 1 cup Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbl salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the pork in a large roasting pan. Make sure the roasting pan can go in the oven and on the stove or on an outdoor grill (I use my metal roasting pan that I use for Thanksgiving turkey dinner).
- Sprinkle all the salt over the meat (all sides). Scatter the sliced onions and garlic over the pork. Pour the salsa over the pork.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil. Place in the oven and roast for 3 hours or until the the pork is fork tender. The pan will have lots of juice.
- Once removed from the oven, remove the foil and place the roasting pan over two burners on your stove or on an outdoor grill over high heat. Occasionally stir the pork. We are trying to evaporate all the liquid and ultimately fry the meat in the rendered fat from the pork. Continue frying until the meat looks like the picture, about 30 minutes.
- Eat right away, or place in a oven proof dish, cover with foil, and keep in a warm oven.
Leave a review or comment