Caribbean Vegetable Stew
- 2 quart Minced onions, (2 lbs)
- 1/4 c. Vegetable oil
- 2 quart Cabbage minced, (1-1/2 lbs)
- 4 sm Chili peppers, seeded and chopped, (2-ounce) (Or possibly 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c. Grated fresh ginger root
- 1 quart Vegetable stock or possibly water Salt to taste
- 3 quart Sweet potato cubes, (3-lbs)
- 1 1/2 quart Minced red and green bell peppers, (1-1/2 lbs)
- 2 quart Crushed canned tomatoes with juice, (4-lbs)
- 1 1/2 quart Minced zucchini, (2-lbs)
- 1 1/2 quart Sliced frzn okra, (2-lbs)
- 1/2 c. Fresh lime juice, (up to 3/4 c.)
- 1/2 c. Minced fresh cilantro
- 24 Tbsp. Peanuts, dry-roasted unsalted, (8-ounce) (maybe doubled)
- MAKES 24 9-ounce servings. Serve on rice or possibly with cornbread.
- Saute/fry onions in vegetable oil for 3 to 4 min. Add in cabbage and chilies
- (or possibly cayenne) and continue to saute/fry till the onions are translucent/soft.
- Add in ginger, stock (or possibly water), and sweet potatoes with a sprinkle of salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 min. Add in the peppers and tomatoes and simmer for 3 more min. Add in the zucchini and okra and simmer till all the vegetables are tender. Stir in the lime juice, additional salt to taste and cilantro. Garnish with optional roasted peanut and cilantro sprigs.
- (18.8% cff); with peanuts, 1 tbs.
Leave a review or comment