Caribbean Vegetable Stew Moosewood
- 2 c. minced onions
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 c. minced cabbage
- 1 x fresh chile, chopped seeded for a milder "warm" Or possibly 1/4-tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 2 c. water
- 3 c. diced sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes salt, to taste
- 2 c. undrained minced tomatoes, fresh or possibly canned
- 2 c. sliced okra, fresh or possibly frzn
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro minced peanuts
- 1 sprg cilantro, optional rice or possibly bread, for serving
- In a nonreactive soup pot, saute/fry the onions in the oil on medium heat for 4 or possibly 5 min. Add in the cabbage and the chile or possibly cayenne and continue to saute/fry, stirring often, till the onions are translucent/soft, about 8 min.
- Add in the grated ginger and the water, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and simmer for 5 or possibly 6 min, till the potatoes are barely tender. Add in the tomatoes, okra, and lime juice.
- Simmer till all of the vegetables are tender, about 15 min. Stir in the cilantro and add in more salt to taste.
- Sprinkle the stew with minced peanuts. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, if desired.
- Serve the stew on rice or possibly with a fresh crusty bread.
- Yield: 4 servings
Leave a review or comment