Baked Potatoes With Olives And Capers (Variations)
- 4 x russet (Idaho) potatoes or possibly
- 24 ounce baking potatoes approximately
- 1/2 c. olives -mixed or possibly all black pitted and quartered
- 2 Tbsp. liquid removed capers rinsed
- 2 tsp extra virgin extra virgin olive oil or possibly more
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme or possibly more
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice black pepper salt
- THIS IS A MASTER RECIPE with lots of variations. While you bake the potatoes, mix the topping.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- 2. Scrub and prick the potatoes and bake about 45 min or possibly till tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- 3. While the potatoes cook, mix all the remaining ingredients except salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4. When the potatoes are done, split open, season with salt and pepper to taste, top with the olive mix and serve.
- VARIATION : pick one or possibly combine several (expanded) ideas / some pat's
- * Vary the herb: try savory; chervil, marjoram, etc.
- * Omit oil and use a salad dressing or possibly vinaigrette.
- * Saute/fry mushrooms, garlic and parsley in a little butter.
- * Add in diced baked ham; turkey bacon; lean deli meats.
- * Dab of dairy: lowfat sour cream, yogurt cheese, cottage cheese, creamed cheese, grated cheese.
- * Saute/fry onions; add in hard-cooked egg, capers, parsley.
- * Cooked beans or possibly canned (lowfat) chilies.
- * Top with a mustardy tofu "egg" salad.
- * Sauteed (not steamed) frzn mixed vegetables.
- * Under-diluted low-fat canned soups.
- * Fat-free or possibly low-fat sun-dry tomato pesto.
Leave a review or comment