Apple Muffins ( no butter)Prep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 16by A Cook at Heart9 recipes>
These apple muffins are moist and mildly sweet. Oil is substituted for butter.
- 1/2 cup Canola /vegetable or other neutral oil
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Demerara sugar (original recipe calls for dark brown sugar)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 2 Apples (I used Cortland), peeled and chopped
- Pre-heat the oven at 375 deg. F. Grease the pan or line it with liners and grease them and set aside.
- Beat the Oil and sugar together.
- * The original recipe calls for using the granulated sugar and just 1/4 cup of the brown sugar to be mixed in butter and beat it till fluffy. I have used oil instead of butter and did not reserve any sugar, but creamed it all at once.
- Add the egg and mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl as required.
- Slowly add the buttermilk.
- Add the Flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Gently fold in the apple.
- Add the mixture to the ready muffin pan / liners, dividing equally.
- Bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for about 10 mins and then on a rack.
- Enjoy as a tea-time treat or in the lunch box or when you want.
- * If you have reserved any brown sugar, sprinkle it on top of the batter and then bake.
- **The original recipe calls for 1 Tbsp. of ground cinnamon, I dislike a very strong whiff of cinnamon and therefore used just 1.5 tsp.
- These muffins are deliciously moist because of the oil and the apples, of course and mildly sweet.
- (those who do not like fruit pieces in their food (as they tend to become soft) may not approve. )
- The reserved sugar will provide a nice crunch when baked. The next time I will try it or make a streusel topping.
Leave a review or comment