Aloo Gobi, Mark's Version
- 6 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 4 med Potatoes, cut into bite- sized pcs
- 1 med Cauliflower, cut into bite- sized pcs
- 1/8 tsp Asafetida
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Whole cumin seeds
- 1 x 1" piece ginger, grated
- 3 x Dry red chiles
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 2 tsp Coriander, powdered
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garam masala Salt & pepper
- 1/4 c. Cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil till it is warm in a large, strong saucepan. Drop in the prepared potatoes & cauliflower & stir well till all the pcs are basted in the oil. Reduce heat to very low & cook gently, stirring occasionally & carefully, for 5 min. Add in the asafetida & a few seconds later the cumin seeds, followed by the black mustard seeds.
- Stir well & allow to continue cooking for 5 min or possibly till the vegetables are almost cooked through.
- Stir in the rest of the spices in the order listed. If you want your aloo gobi hotter, crumble the chiles. If not, leave whole & then remove before serving. Mix well & let simmer over the very low heat for another 7 min. If it sticks, sprinkle in a few drops of water, but try to avoid doing this if possible. The vegetables should now be well cooked. Stir in the cilantro, being careful notb to break the vegetables. Serve immediately.
Leave a review or comment