"Wrapped children" (Dominican Traditional Dish)Prep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by Arturo Féliz-Camilo183 recipes>
Traditional Dominican dish. First of all, let me clarify this dish has nothing to do with child abuse!! It’s just a funny name this dish acquired who knows why! What I do know is that children love it! This is a typical recipe of my family and traditional of the Dominican Republic. My mother created a tradition of cooking our favorite food the day of our birthdays. (It is a common tradition in Dominican families from the north) This dish was many times my selection. My sisters and I have pleasant memories of those famous cook-off’s, like the day that to my sister Alexandra saw a whole chicken in front of her, as she had requested, and her defeat before such a contender. The traditional recipe of wrapped children is made with rice and meat. You can also prepare it with meat alone (For a low carb dish) or substitute the meat for textured soy, for a delicious vegetarian plate. I love all versions.
- ” 1 lb of ground pork or beef, or textured soy.
- ” 1 red onion.
- ” 1 red sweet pepper.
- ” Cilantrico and leek.
- ” 2 spoonfuls of tomato paste.
- ” 1 garlic paste.
- ” 1 tbsp of oregano.
- ” ½ spoonful of black pepper.
- ” ½ spoonful of cayenne pepper.
- ” ½ spoonful of saffron.
- ” 1 cubanela pepper.
- ” 2 cups of cooked rice (Optional)
- ” 1 cube chicken broth.
- ” 1 medium cabbage.
- ” Olive oil.
- ” Salt to taste.
- Boil your cabbage (complete) in a recipient where it fits entirely. As it cooks take out the whole leaves and separate. Once you have all the leaves separate.
- Prepare your white rice and separate.
- Prepare your ground meat with the onion, the pepper, the cilantrico, leek, tomato sauce, garlic paste, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper, saffron, cubanela pepper, chicken cube and salt. Once this is ready separate.
- Then, to mount the wrapped children, mix the rice with the ground meat or soy. Extend the cabbage leaves and add the filling. Wrap in a cylindrical way, as a bud. Place them in a boiler, once done, add around a cup of water, a bit of salt and a generous amount of olive oil and them at slow fire for 15 minutes.
- Many people prefer raw rice and letting it cook for half hour. I prefer the rice cooked to avoid risks. I hope you enjoy!
Leave a review or comment