Wild Rice Salad
- 8 ounces asparagus
- 1 clove garlic, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked, drained, and room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 head Boston or large Bibb lettuce, washed and trimmed (optional)
- Peel and trim the asparagus stalks. Cut about an inch of the tips from the spears and then thinly slice the remaining stalk. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the asparagus into the water and cook until just crisp tender, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, shallot, mustard, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in the oil to make a creamy dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, nuts, carrots, celery, asparagus, dill, and mint. Toss with about 1/3 cup dressing. Serve as is or toss the lettuce with some of the dressing. To serve place the lettuce on a serving platter or individual plates and spoon the salad into the center of the leaves. Pass any remaining dressing at the table.
Leave a review or comment