Vegetarian TVP Spaghetti SaucePrep: 25 min Cook: 90 min Servings: 10by Micheline120 recipes>
This vegetarian spaghetti sauce is made with Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), a highly nutritious soy product, an alternative to meat. The texture and taste resembles ground beef. You will be pleasantly surprised by the look and taste of this meatless spaghetti sauce. TVP is available in Health Food Stores and is made by Bob's Red Mills Co. This recipe can be cooked in the oven or on top of the stove.
- 150 gr miso paste (dark brown color)
- 4 cups (946 ml) water
- 1 pkg (283 g) TVP Textured vegetable protein
- 3 tbsp. (42 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (56 g) chili flakes
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 tbsp. (7g) paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large cans (796 ml) diced tomatoes (plain or spiced)
- 2 cans (156 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cans (680 ml) tomato sauce (plain or spiced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried basil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp (.5 ml) cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp (.5 ml) ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp (.5 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, mix the miso and water and bring to a boil. Add the TVP and mix well. Remove from the heat and let TVP absorb all the mixture, uncovered, while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Prepare and dice the onions, garlic, carrots, celery by hand or using the food processor.
- In a large dutch oven (Creuset type), cook the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and cook until the vegetables are a little soft, while mixing for 5 to 7 minutes on medium heat. Add the miso and TVP mixture. Add the diced tomatoes, the tomato sauce and the tomato paste. Mix well. Add the spices and mix well. Bring to a boil on top of the stove and then remove from heat. Place the dutch oven in the oven at 350 degrees F. for another 1 hour 30 minutes or so, uncovered. Mix once or twice during this cooking period. You can also cook this recipe on top of the stove for approx. 1 hour or so, while mixing during the cooking period. Adjust spices at the end of the cooking to your taste. Serve on cooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice with flaked chili and parmesan cheese with garlic bread and a green salad. Enjoy!
Leave a review or comment