Twin Sisters Vegetable Soup
- Bay leaves 2
- Carrots; scrubbed, unpeeled 2
- Celery 3
- Cooked kidney beans; or pint 1 c
- Dried oregano 2 ts
- Fresh ground pepper 1/8 ts
- Garlic cloves; chopped fine 2
- Idaho potatoes; scrubbed, un 2
- Onion; chopped 1 md
- Tomatoes 3
- Yellow squash 1 lg
- Zucchini 1
- Saute the onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper in a small amount of
- water until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Dice the remaining vegetables, except the tomatoes, and place them in a large pot; add the sauteed onion mixture. Add water just to cover the vegetables. Add the bay leaves, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat. Simmer unti the vegetables are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Pour into a saucepan and gently boil for 20 minutes to remove any acidic taste. Add the tomatoes to the soup, along with the cooked beans.
- Cook for 30 minutes over low heat. Refrigerate overnight to allow
- the flavors to "marry." Reheat and serve the next day.
- Variation: One-half cup each of corn and green beans can also be added to the soup.
Leave a review or comment