Thai Vegan Coconut Ice CreamPrep: 10 min Cook: 5 min Servings: 6by The Blender Girl59 recipes>
This vegan coconut ice cream was inspired by my many trips to Thailand and is absolutely divine! One really important thing about making coconut ice cream – the base must be really well chilled before churning in the ice cream maker or the ice cream will be too soft and slushy. Try and chill it for a minimum of three or fours hours. Overnight is actually preferable for the best results. Even then, I find that the ice cream never gets to a consistency beyond that of frozen yoghurt in the machine. I like to transfer the ice cream into the freezer for a few hours to solidify it a bit more before serving. I like to add natural coconut flavouring in order to accent the coconut flavour. But it is also wonderful with vanilla extract. It is all a matter of personal preference. You could also add in more shredded coconut if you prefer a crunchier texture. You can also add in cacao powder or fruit to the mix too. But I like it just like this! This recipe is a fantastic allergy-friendly alternative to conventional ice creams – dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, egg-free and nut-free. YUMMO! How did man survive before the first coconut was cracked? It just baffles me!
- 3 ½ cups – about 2 standard 14 ounce/400ml cans of unsweetened coconut cream
- 3/4 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2 ½ Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1 tsp organic alcohol free coconut flavour or 1 tsp natural alcohol free vanilla extract
- organic soaked and dehydrated nuts for garnish (optional)
- Stir the arrowroot into 1/2 cup of cold coconut milk.
- Heat the rest of the coconut milk, agave and salt in a saucepan until well combined. Just about a minute.
- Stir in the arrowroot mixture and stir on medium/low heat until thickened â about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut essence and shredded coconut and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least a few hours (overnight is preferable) until really cold.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturerâs instructions.
- Place in the freezer to solidify and serve serve garnished with nuts and toasted coconut flakes IF it makes it that far! YUM!
- If the consistency gets really grainy â place in your blender and pulse quickly before serving to cream it up a bit.
Leave a review or comment