Tagine of Beef and Sweet PotatoesPrep: 25 min Cook: 2.5 hours Servings: 6by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
This is an amazing tagine/stew. The flavor is just amazing. It's not as spicy or as powerful as many Moroccan tagines, but it is wonderful.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef for stew
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp paprika (hot if you have it, but sweet is OK too)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp butter.
- Trim the beef of excess fat if needed and cut in 1 inch cubes.
- In large pan, heat oil and lightly brown beef on all sides. Then add the turmeric and generous salt and pepper. Mix well, cover tightly and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes. Add the remaining spices, onion, chopped herbs (retaining a Tbsp of parsley and of cilantro), and 1/2 cup water. Mix well and cover. Simmer gently for 11/2 hours over low heat until meat is very tender. Add a little water while cooking if stew becomes dry.
- While stew is cooking, peel and cut sweet potatoes in 1/4 slices crosswise (round not long). Cook them in boiling salt water for about 7 minutes until almost cooked but still firm. Drain and leave aside. Slice the tomatoes crosswise and leave aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix 1 Tbsp softened butter with 1 Tbsp all purpose flour in a small bowl with a spoon to make a simple roux.
- Transfer the meat and sauce to a tagine or shallow ovenproof dish. Mix in the roux with a spoon. Place the boiled sweet potato slices on top of the meat as evenly as possible in one layer, and put the sliced tomatoes on top the potatoes. Sprinkle salt, black pepper, and the remaining cilantro and parsley on top of the tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and check for seasoning.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish or serve straight from the baking dish. When serving, make sure to spoon the tasty sauce over the meat and vegetables!
- Serves well with basmati rice, brown rice, bulgur or cous cous.
Leave a review or comment