Stufato di manzo Italiano ( Beef Stew)Prep: 30 min Cook: 2 1/2 hours Servings: 8by J. Gino Genovesi60 recipes>
Stews have been around for many years, in many nations with such diverse recipes. All types of meats are used in what some call stew. It is sometimes called "poor mans meal" because one can use many types of meats and vegetables. In my family we like stews and serve over mashed potatoes, rice and with corn and other vegetables. Try this recipe and you will be pleased.
- 2 lbs. cubed beef
- 3 T. flour
- 1/4 C. oil
- 4 -5 C. water
- 1 tsp. instant coffee crystals
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 pk. Onion soup mix
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 potatoes peeled and quartered ( optional)
- 6-8 carrots, sliced
- 2 C. green beans, bite size
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 C. frozen peas.
- Variation: can add corn etc.
- 1. Coat beef in flour, sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- 2. In pot,( or cooker) heat oil; add the beef and brown well. Add water, coffee. black pepper and sugar. Mix well and bring to boil.
- 3. Add all remaining ingredients, except peas.
- 4. Rapid boil until vegetables are softened; then reduce heat to medium; simmer for about 2 hours.
- 4. Add the frozen peas the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Mix about 3-4 tablespoons of corn starch in a small amount of water. ( should look like thick milk), and pour into the stew, stirring as you pour, until the gravy is the right consistency. Depending of the amount of water you put in, you may have to increase the starch mixture.
Leave a review or comment