Suppa di matrimonio Italiano ( Wedding Soup)Prep: 40 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 8by J. Gino Genovesi60 recipes>
I believe this soup was served at weddings and family gatherings because it was quick and easy to prepare, delicious and plentiful. However, my family made this soup for Sunday lunch and for holidays and family gatherings.. This was served, along with Toasted sliced bread, before a meal of homemade pasta. I have made some changes in making the meatballs and using prepared chicken broth instead of getting the broth from boiled chicken. It does take some preparation in making the meatballs Red wine was always served when we had wedding soup..
- 2 C. any miniature pasta ( pastina)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1-2 eggs
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 C. Italian breadcrumbs
- 2/3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- 2 tsp.chicken flavor
- 2 tsp.Olive oil
- 1 C. water
- 1 pkg. frozen spinach cooked and drained. ( I like to use fresh spinach)
- 2 chopped up chicken breast.( precooked)
- 1. Make the mini meatballs by combining in a bowl, ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Mix well
- 2. Using small scoop or teaspoon, scoop up mead and shape into small meatballs.
- 3.. In skillet, heat oil, add meatballs and cook until brown all over.
- In a large pot, bring broth and water to a boil.
- 4. Reduce heat,: add the meatballs. precooked chicken, pastina and spinach. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes .
- 5. Let the soup rest for a while to allow the blending of flavors.
Leave a review or comment