Squash CasserolePrep: 40 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 12by Kerri Bishop9 recipes>
This casserole is very similar to the one at Boston Market. It is not calorie light, but it is great for special occasions. We have had many requests for this recipe. This recipe is easily halved.
- 4 1/2 cups zucchini washed and sliced 1/2" thick
- 4 1/2 cups yellow squash washed and sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (prepare as directed on box)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Prepare corn mix as directed in 8" x 8" pan, set aside to cool.
- Place zucchini and yellow squash in a large saucepan and add just enough of water to cover. Cook on medium low heat just until tender, remove from heat. Drain squash, reserve one cup of water for casserole. On medium low temperature place all of the butter in large sauce pan and sautÃ© the onions until the onions turn clear. Add salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, chicken bouillon cubes and garlic to onions. and stir well. Add drained squash and shredded cheese, stir. Crumble corn bread in squash and pour the reserved cup of water and mix well. Place squash mixture in a 13"x 9" baking pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Cover casserole and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove cover the last 20 minutes of baking time.
Leave a review or comment