Spicy Black Eyed Peas
Very spicy Black eyed peas. If you want more heat add the cayenne if you dare!!!!
- 4 slices of bacon, rough chop
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomtoes with green chiles
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup of water
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon, crumble and set aside to use as a topping or to stir in at the end of cooking.
- Saute the onions in the bacon drippings until tender.
- Add the peas, diced tomatoes with chiles, salt, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne and water.
- Cover and cook over low-med heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional water if necessary.
- Add bacon in at the last 10 minutes of cooking or use as a garnish for the beans. Enjoy! :)
Leave a review or comment