Spectacular Summertime Fresh Roasted Marinara SaucePrep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 10by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
This is one of the most delicious tomato sauces we’ve ever tasted. You’ll want to make this sauce using summertime tomatoes. They really taste their best this time of year. If possible, buy them at your local Farmer’s Market or look for locally grown tomatoes at your supermarket. You can also use whole cherry tomatoes or “gourmet” varieties. We’ve made ours skinny by using 3 tablespoons of olive oil for roasting. Normally it’s made with ½ cup. Weight Watchers (old points) Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS Skinny Facts: for ½ cup serving 98 calories, 4.7g fat, 2g protein, 14g carbs, 3g fiber, 163mg sodium, 3g sugar Fat Facts: for ½ cup serving 139 calories, 13g fat, 1g protein, 7g carbs, 2g fiber, 220mg sodium, 3g sugar
- 10 cups fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups onions, chopped chunky
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all the ingredients to a large baking pan. Toss well to coat and then spread out over pan.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Add all to a blender or food processor and carefully blend until smooth. Add a little more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Serve over your favorite whole wheat or whole grain pasta, such as spaghetti or penne pasta.
- This sauce freezes great.
Leave a review or comment