South Indian Chicken CurryPrep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by Mihir Shah32 recipes>
This is one of my favorite Indian dishes - south indian food can be a little hotter, which I love. You can use pretty much any meat, including the chicken I recommend here. Also goes great with prawns and white fish. Serve with Rice and heated tortillas
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (I like to leave the skin on); divided into 2-in pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp chana dal (lentils)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 15 oz of canned, diced tomatoes
- 2 whole dried red chilli peppers
- 1/2 tsp each of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric
- 1/8 cup grated coconut (ok to use frozen)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (fresh)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup warm water
- salt to taste
- cilantro as a garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and add chana dal, coriander and cumin seeds, and dry chili peppers. Roast for 3 minutes on medium heat and then add coconut, garlic and ginger for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and grind the spices to a paste.
- Heat remaining oil in a dutch oven and saute onions until golden brown.
- Add spice paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper and turmeric, then chicken. Cook while stirring for a few minutes.
- Add warm water and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest for 15 minutes. Garnish will cilatro.
Leave a review or comment