Skinny Sliders with Caramelized Onions, Yum!Prep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 12by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
Minimizing is the new super-sizing and these little sliders are terrific. No need to heat up the barbecue because these mini burgers are best made on a George Foreman grill, Panini maker or in a pan. The deep, subtle sweetness of the caramelized onions really add a wonderful flavor to these little gems. To make them skinny, I’m using very lean ground beef. Next, cooking the onions in the microwave first before sauteing in a pan. This allows you to use just a teaspoon of oil. For the bun, a high fiber mini sandwich thin instead of a regular mini bun. The skinny for 1 slider. 131 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. I love to either serve them as an appetizer or as a meal. For a meal, 1 slider should be enough if you serve with other foods such as Skinny Fries or Sweet Potato Fries and Simply, Skinny Crunchy Slaw.
- Ingredients for Grilled Onions:
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Ingredients for Burgers:
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 1 egg white
- 1 small yellow onion grated, about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- ½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 Oroweat Sandwich Thins Mini’s (100% whole wheat)
- Ingredients for Toppings:
- 12 tomato slices, cut thin
- Pickle slices on tooth picks for garnish
- To make grilled onions: Place the sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate. Cook for about 5 minutes in the microwave until onions are soft. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Add cooked onions and 1Â½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. SautÃ© on medium heat until onions are very soft and browned, about 6-8 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water while cooking. Stir often. Keep warm or reheat before serving. These can be made earlier in the day and reheated.
- Heat a George Foreman grill or Panini maker.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg white, grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, seasoning salt and pepper. Using your hands or a fork, gently mix together. Shape mixture into 12 balls and flatted into very thin patties. Form the patties as large as you can since they shrink when cooked.
- To cook on a George Foreman grill or Panini maker: Heat the George Foreman grill or Panini maker and coat with cooking spray. Place burgers on the grill, flatten a bit with a spatula, close lid and cook for about 2 minutes until cook through. Remove from grill to a plate and continue cooking the remaining patties. Coat with cooking spray each time.
- To cook in a pan: Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 4-6 patties and cook over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until cook through. Remove patties from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray and continue cooking the remaining patties. Be sure to coat the pan with cooking spray before cooking all the patties.
- To serve: Spread each sandwich thin with 1 teaspoon ketchup and mustard. Add 1 patty and top each with a tomato slice and some grilled onions. Add the top of the sandwich thin.
- Makes 12 sliders (If youâre serving with other foods, 1 slider is most likely enough)
Leave a review or comment